Saturday 27 March 2010

Love Marinade

Cooking is one of the things I truly love doing, but since I am a very impatient and temperamental person, the recipes need to be quick and easy.

A few girlfriends and I were discussing our passion for preparing food and I noticed that they like to spend hours, if not an entire day, preparing, cutting and marinading their meals. I guess, like with everything in life, I just want it now, not yesterday, not tomorrow, but right now. I don't seem to have the patience to let things simmer or slowly come to the boil.

I've often wondered if this is one of my strong points or a huge flaw. My enthousiasm takes me on the wildest rides, and even though I hate rollercoasters, I love these twists and turns, that take me to life's unknown destinations.

A while back, I met someone online, with whom I felt a real connection, but he seemed hesitant to meet me in 'real' life, he told me that he knew himself well enough and couldn't promise me much more than a few dates. I guess he too had a problem with long and complicated recipes. He was kind enough to call and tell me he didn't want to cross the point of no return and felt we would be doing so by acquainting. Of course this triggered the utmost curiosity in me and I couldn't stand him not wanting to even risk one date with me. So..I plucked up the courage and gave him a challenge. Guys are suckers for a good challenge ! ;-)

I was on my way to Denmark for a short visit, and right before I stepped onto the airplane, I sent him a message telling him it was a shame he didn't have the courage to meet me and that I believed in 'No Guts, No Glory' in life....

I flew to Denmark and on my return we had set a date.  :-)

As expected we hit it off like a house on fire and I had my first real crush on someone again !! It seemed a fairytale at first, all the important ingredients were there to make it a succesful recipe, but I left no time to marinade and simmer..... and so it was doomed.

Completely convinced that I had learnt my lesson I started dating again, only to keep making exactly the same mistake, leaving little to no time for things to set and rise. After countless attempts at this, my own motto seemed to have become 'inglorious' !!

I wonder if I'll ever get the hang of it, as I'm not good with following instructions to the rule and maybe love and relationships are like pastry baking....you need to weigh and measure everything very carefully or else it's a recipe for disaster.

So, for a change, I think next time, if I'm blessed with one, I will practice long and careful love marination..... !!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment